I need to have a lease terminated without finding someone to overtake it.

I signed a lease at an apartment complex and shortly after I ended up with a dog. The complex isn’t pet friendly so I need to have the lease terminated. I’ve tried to find someone to take over the lease but its just not working out. What can i do?

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you entered into a lease you are obligated to pay for the entire term.  I would need to see the termination clause if such a clause exists.  however, most leases do not have these and landlords attempt to seek payment for the entire balance of the lease when the tenant fails to pay.  I suggest explaining the problem to your landlord.  If the landlord owns another building nearby, maybe you can negotiate to move there.  You can also try to negotiate a early termination fee to avoid a lawsuit.  I suggest calling a local laywer to try to help you if you cannot negotiate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.