I miss my court date what do I do?

I had court on April 12,2016

Asked on April 30, 2016 under General Practice, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Contact the clerk of the court, explain what happened--hopefully, you have some decent reason or excuse--and ask, respectfully for a new court date. They may ask you to make your request in writing. For traffic court, typically if this was the first time you missed it, they will grant you a new date with no consequences or only a minimal consequence (maybe a small additional fine). Make the request now (Monday) before more time goes by.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.