I married my wife 15 years ago in Alabama

I married in my wife in Alabama when i was in the Military. We went to North
Carolina to live. Me and my wife renewed our vows in NC. Where do i get a divorce
from NC or Alabama

Asked on June 29, 2016 under Family Law, North Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You file for divorce in the state where you reside at the time of filing, not in the state where you were married.   By reside, the court will usually require you or your wife to have actually lived in a county and state for purposes of living in that county-- not just visiting.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.