If I live in company housing and was fired for pursuing a formal request for payment, what should I do about my living situation?

I am classified as an “independent contractor” through my employer as a door to door salesman. I have had several incidents where my firm took my entire paycheck for deductions that they claimed had to be made, without any warning and with no explanation for several weeks. I consulted an attorney and was advised to put together a formal request for payment as the deductions should not have been for as much as had been taken. After the request there was some back and forth about who was right and then I was fired and told I had less than 24 hours to be out of his housing.

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were terminated as an "independent contractor" over a pay dispute where as part of your package you have company housing, you should consult with an attorney that practice sin the area of employment law in that your termination seems "retaliatory" and possibly you might not be an "independent contractor" under the laws of your state.

You should also consult with a representative of your nearest labor department as well to see if a complaint against the person or entity that was paying you for work done is warranted.

As to your living situation with the company, you need to carefully read all documents setting forth your entitlement to stay in the housing in such controls the obligations owed to you by the owner and vice versa and consult with an employment attorney as to such. Your question does not set forth the terms of the "housing" benefit that you have written about so it makes answering your question on the subject with more detail very difficult to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.