What to do if I hit an unoccupied parked car at night and left the scene?

I could not find owner so I left my car there and all my information on his car and explained I’ll be back in morning. When I came back my car was being towed police already came and talked to other owner. I then went to police station and identified myself as the other car owner. I later received multiple tickets for failure to keep right, using a cell phone, parking against flow of traffic, blocking a driveway, and the key one is not reporting an accident. So,now all my tickets were put together and I have to go to court for all of them? Even though all of them were payable tickets except for not reporting an accident? Should I seek a lawyer and why?

Asked on September 12, 2013 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Ok so were a good guy and left your info but I think you now realize that you should have called the police yourself to report it.  I think that you should get a lawyer because it sounds as if there are facts to mitigate the charge of leaving the scene (which can be  misdemeanor) and bring it down to something innocuous and some of the other tickets could be thrown out. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.