If I leave the house, might be charged with abandonment and lose parental rights and custody of my kids?

I have live with the mother of my 3 kids for the last 9 year. We are not married. The situation at home has become caustic and abusive for the children that I believe that the best thing to do is to separate. She does not believe so. Is there any legal way that I can leave the house with shared custody for the kids.

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey



Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are always free to leave the house, especially if you feel that the home has become caustic and abusive.  It would not be considered abandonment.  However, unless you can agree on a visitation schedule, it is advisable that a case is filed so that the court can order a visitation schedule based on the best interests of the children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.