If I was married 4 months ago but the marriage is not working out, am I liable for credit card purchases in my wife’s name incurred prior to the wedding because it was for our wedding?

My wife decided she didn’t want to stay in the marriage due to some issues between our children. We have no joint real property or credit accounts together. She put our wedding expenses on a credit card including the honeymoon, all before the wedding in her name only. About 2 weeks prior to her leaving I paid $1900 of her credit card debt off, She wants me to pay 1/2 the cost of the honeymoon minus the $1900 and 1/2 the attorney fee and her to keep all wedding gifts and the rest of the debt. Am I liable for credit card purchases for the wedding if they were incurred prior to the wedding? If not, I’d rather keep the property, she has already taken some, she keep what she has.

Asked on August 1, 2015 under Family Law, Tennessee


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You could be sued hy her for half the wedding costs and she may prevail.  This is similar to contract law and exceptions to contract law, wherein the performance wedding occurred. She relied to her detriment paying for the wedding and wed but shortly thereafter, separated.
While she essentially decided to divorce, it may be in your best interest to contribute but you are also entitled to half the gifts.  You may suggest returning the gifts you can and having the stores give each of you half of the worth of the gift on a gift card.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.