If I have a judgment against me and I settled the cost of the bill but now they don’t want to release the judgment, what do I do?

I paid in settlement with this company 2 years ago and they are just now releasing the title to me. They want me to pay more money to get the judgment released.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Absolutely not. You inform them in writing that what they are doing is considered illegal under both civil and criminal law and you will sue them for return of all monies if the company continues to attempt to extort more money from you. File a motion in court seeking return of all monies and the release of judgment based on these latest communications. Also file a dispute with the credit reporting agencies that have this file on their records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.