What to do if my 8 year old divorce agreement says that my ex-husband has to keep a life insurance policy current but I’m not sure that he has?

He is suppossed to keep a life insurance policy current with myself and our 2 kids as the beneficiaries upon his death. He was supposed to update me every 3 months with a copy of the policy, as well as proof of payment but never has. Also, he was supposed to pay monthly payments on 2 credit cards that he helped run up to over $10,000 but never made a payment. I have asked him over the years but everytime I do, he threatens me and says he pays enough in child support. I am to the point where I’m tired of his threats and want to take him back to court for contempt. Will a judge listen even though it’s so old?

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A divorce agreement is in many ways like any other contract: that means that it can be enforced in the courts, even years after it was made or entered into, if and when one party to it violates his obligations. A court should enforce this agreement against your ex-husband, and force him to honor his responsibilities under it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.