If I had to quit my job because of a hostile workplace that my employer wouldn’t try to resolve, can I sue them for wages lost, etc?

I was 7 months pregnant. The father of my child was not having anything to do with the whole thing. He was still coming in as a customer (I was a server/bartender at a pool hall) and was having sexual relations with a co-worker of mine which added more stress to the workplace. Everyone knew that this was going on and my manager and the owner let it continue to go on. I had to quit because there was clear animosity coming from my higher ups. Later on she was fired and I asked for my job back which the owner said no because I was so far along. My being pregnant was his reason not to hire me back.

Asked on July 28, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, there may be a factual and legal basis for bringing a labor action against your former employer in not using proper judgment in trying to diffuse a hostile work environment where you were an employee.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of labor law and/or have a meeting with a representative with your local department of labor about what you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.