How to get visitation with my son?

I currently have child support being garnished from my wages, and have never even seen my son nor am I on the birth certificate. I have taken a DNA test and been proven the father. I want to be a part of my son’s life and the mother is out of state and hiding from me. I want to see my son and/or have contact with him. I am looking for assistance.

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are being garnished for child support then the agency doing so must have information as to the whereabouts of your child.  I think that you are going to need legal assistance here in bringing a proceeding against the agency to reveal her whereabouts and then you have to bring a petition for custody and visitation in the state in which the child resides.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.