What to do if my ex-husband forged my signture on a mortgage modification and the mortgage is now being foreclosed on?

I co-signed for a mortgage for my now ex-husband before our divorce was final. I greatly regret doing this now. This was approximately 8 years ago. About 4 years ago he did a loan modification that I was unaware of. It changed the terms of the loan.Somehow he was able to do all of the modification paperwork with the lender without my knowledge and I just found out yesterday they are foreclosing on it and are suing me too. I saw the Loan mod documents in the paperwork from the lawyer and realize that my now ex-husband (we were divorced at the time of the modification)forged my signature and initials throughout that modification document. Am I still liable for this loan after he forged my signature and I was not made aware of the new loan?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In theory, no, you are not.  But you are going to have a long haul here and you are going to need to seek legal help asap.  You need to bring an action to void the "contract" and against your ex husband as well yourself.  Please speak with a lawyer and bring all the documents that you have in your possession.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.