What to do if I authorized my children’s passports when my marriage was doing well but now fear that my wife has bad intentions since she confiscated the passports?

I authorized my children’s passports when my marriage was doing well. I now fear that my wife may have bad intentions since she confiscated the passports and the marriage is now struggling. We live in the US; her family is in Egypt. She is a US citizen and the kids (4 and 6 years old) have dual citizenship with US/Egypt. Can I revoke or put a stop on our kids passports to prevent a possible abduction? If so, how? And what other steps do you suggest I take to stop my fears from becoming a reality? Ideally, I would like all my actions to be taken without my wife’s knowledge since I’m hoping that we work things out and that she eventually agrees to put the passports back in a mutual location in the home to re-gain my trust.

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Immigration Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you go with your gut feelings and consult with an immigration and naturalization attorney as to what the legal protocol would be to terminate your children's pass ports issued by this country given your fears that your spouse is a "flight risk" with your children.

Typically a form and an affidavit under the penalty of perjury needs to be submitted to the State Department of this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.