What to do if I want to take my mother to court to try to gain custody of 2 of my younger siblings?

However I am unsure of where to start this process at? My siblings are being emotionally damaged and I honestly cannot handle seeing it happen any longer. Any advice on where I should go and what exactly I need to do to not only start this case but to be able to win this case?

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Family Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are a brave person and obviously loving and caring for your siblings.  You have not given much information here as to their age or your age or your present situation.  The court will lookat who you are  - your age, your profession, your ability to provide a safe home, food, get them to school, etc. - in order to make a determination.  Custody determinations are made "in the best interest of the child."  If the children are old enough to testify they can ask the court to be placed with you. But I would speak with legal aid or an attorney on a consultation basis who can guide you as to getting help for the kids if they are placed in your care.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.