I am separting from my fiance and we own a home together. What are my rights and what steps do I need to take to protect myself?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you purchased the home together you have a right to your half of the property. What you should do is immediately hire an attorney who can represent you in this separation because although it is not a divorce the concept of division of property is the same. You also want to make sure not to move out of the home without a distribution in effect.

At this point get all the paperwork together to show you are joint owners. You also I assume paid half of everything or whatever percentage you paid. You need to get all those records in order to enable you to show a money trail proving your percentage ownership

So you just need to logically proceed, get the paperowkr together and hire an attorney at that point the attorney will advise you further

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.