I am out of status due to the fact that my former lawyer did not take the necessary steps.

I applied for the NIW status. Will it then be possible for me to adjust my status?

Asked on October 8, 2015 under Immigration Law, District of Columbia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You would need to provide more documentation about when and where you submitted your  NIW application and on what basis.  When you say that it was submitted, what exactly did the lawyer not take the necessary steps in regard to?  Also, if you are approved for NIW then you may be eligible to apply for adjustment of status if you are not currently out of status.  However, if you are already out of status, you are not eligible for adjustment of status.  This is general information.  To review the specifics of your case and situation, it is best for you to consult with an immigration attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.