If I’m divorced, unemployed and have lost my job, house and car and need to file for bankruptcy, is an attorney that can help me with a discounted fee?

My only source of income is unemployment, which is under $980 a month.

Asked on June 30, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You may qualify for assistance from Legal Aid. Also, the locality in question may have attorneys who volunteer for these type cases; contact the local bar association and see if they have a list. Additionally, you can check to see if there is a law school in your area; they have clinics that might take your case for free or for a reduced rate, depending on your financial circumstances. Finally, you can file yourself without an attorney; the bankruptcy court in question will have online forms (with directions for filling them out). Frankly, having legal assistance is best but people can and, often do, file on their own behalf. You should also be aware that for those with little to no income, the filing fees can be waived.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.