If I’m a single mother and something were to happen to me, can my parent get custody of my child or is there the need of a Will?

If so, can I do a Will without the help of lawyers?

Asked on April 15, 2014 under Estate Planning, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your mother could get custody of your child if something happens to you, but the process will go faster and more smoothly if you have a will designating her at your child's guardian in the event of the worst. You legally may draft a will on your own, but it is not recommended; wills are highly technical, and a small error in drafting or executing them can potentially invalidate them. It is much better to retain an attorney to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.