If I am a native Italian with an American passport and live in the US for 7.5 months a year and in Italy for the rest, what is the best way to have my boyfriend come for a visit?

I have an Italian boyfriend who lives, works and have kids in Italy. We would like him to visit me once in a while for a few weeks each time, but I am afraid the INS would become eventually suspicious if he comes without disclosing he is visiting me (we were told it was better not to say that). We are 41 years old and I divorced from an american citizen and have a kid here. My boyfriend has no intention to remain in the US for now. Is there I visa I can apply for so he can visit 2/3 times a year without having issues with the INS?

Asked on October 5, 2014 under Immigration Law, Minnesota


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

IF your boyfriend is an Italian citizen he is able to travel to the US without a visa on the visa waiver program and can enter the US for up to 90 days each time.  Of course, the more frequent and lengthy the visits the more likely that suspicions will arise as to his intentions and reasons for entering the US so frequently.  However, if you are aware of these risks and time the visits such that they do not trigger these concerns, he should not have any issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.