What are my options if I’m a divorced mom who is requesting sole guardianship of a disabled minor?

I currently share joint custody with my ex-husband.

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

With respect to your petition for sole guardianship for your disabled minor child the court in making the decision to grant or deny the request will look at the opposition as well as the basis for your request as well as the report from social services to see what is in the best interests of the minor child before making the decision.

The options that you have could be physical custody of the child with visitation to the former spouse or joint physical custody. In making the decision on the issue you have before the court, the court looks to see what is in the child's best interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.