What are my rigths if I’ve yet to receive payment from my summer job?

I am 21 years old and recently left for college after working this summer for a painting compny. My franchisee has yet to pay me for a total of 83 hours worth of work 73 logged and signed off on by him and 10 unlogged due to his own failure to put the job up on-line. I also am supposed to receive a $70 check for reimbursement of personal funds that he borrowed from me which went toward the company, as well as a $100 check for miscellanous items ($30 was for obtaining a lead and $70 was for unpaid overtime). In addition, my franchisee also deleted some of my hours where I worked overtime, and never gave me overtime pay. It has now been 2 months since I worked and I still have yet to see any payment, and cannot reach my boss through phone or text I don’t have his email. How much of this money could I hope to see returned to me if I filed a lawsuit? Also, would I be able to file the suit against the company as a whole or would I have to file it against my boss?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under Connecticut Gen. Stat. Ann. § 31-71c, an employee is entitled to receive his or her final paycheck on the next regularly scheduled pay date after he or she quits. You would file a complaint with the Connecticut Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Compliance Unit and be entitled to file a civil suit (small claims probably) against the employer for a wage claim, pursuant to Connecticut Gen. Stat. Ann. § 31-72.  Now, how much you get depends on what you can prove.  If the employee deleted hours on line can you show by other evidence that you worked a specific job?  Maybe a receipt for lunch near the area of the job or an affidavot from the home owner who hired the company that you were there and the hours worked?  You see where I am going.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.