If I’m 17 and recently off probation for possession of marijuna of less than an ounce, since this is my first petty offense do I qualify for a diversion?

Will this stay on my permanent record? I was got shoplifiting and the police issued me a court date. What should I be expecting at court?

Asked on February 10, 2013 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Potentially the court will offer you a diversion program as to the shop lifting charge that you recently obtained. As to the marijuana offense, it will remain on your permanent juvenile record unless you expunge it. Note, juvenile criminal records are sealed per state law and are not subject to public reviee absent a court order.

I suggest that you obtain a criminal defense attorney to assist you for the petty theft matter. If convicted of the petty theft matter, it too will remain on your juvenile criminal record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.