How to obtain a copy of my deceased’s grandfather’s Will?

My grandfather indeed has a Will; he told me and others in our family. My grandfather’s new wife/widow will not establish communication with the family since his death. I’m sure his new wife/widow has a copy of the Will.

Asked on October 26, 2011 under Estate Planning, Missouri


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your deceased grandfather has a Will and if his estate is now being probated, then all you have to do is go down to the court house where the probate file is for his estate and ask the court clerk to review the file. A probated matter is a public record.

If there is no probate of your grandfather's Will, obtaining a copy of it becomes more problematic. If you know the names of attorneys that your grandfather may have used while he was alive, I would contact them asking if they know of the whereabouts of any Will of your grandfather.

The last option is to write your grandfather's widow asking about the whereabout of any known Will of his. I would keep a copy of the letter for future reference.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.