How to answer complaint regarding a debt?

The card number on the affidavit (unable to identify this number) and on an old statement (this is the correct number) they sent with the complaint do not match at all. I did stop paying on the card after I was unable to come to an affordable payment plan with the creditor. While I am willing to pay, I need a payment I can handle or I will not be able to afford it. The card is only in my name. I no longer work due to health issues. We are a family of five living on under a gross of $23,000. We are on Medicaid, food stamps, phone and energy assistance. How do I write answer with the account number mix?

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The best way to get an answer with affirmative defenses to the complaint against you for credit card debt is to go online and do searches for answers to a complaint. There are many forms online that you can use as a template.

You can also go to your local law library and ask the law librarian for assistance for forms so you can do an answer to the complaint with affirmative defenses. Your county bar association may also have a program where attorneys assist people in your situation.

You will also have to pay a filing fee for the answer that you need to file.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.