How long does an adminstrator of an estate have to change/remove the deceased name off the utility bills and vehicle registrations?

The deceased has been gone 8 months and there have been incidents in regards to the vehicle. Do the heirs have the right to get compensated for damages to the vehicle?

Asked on September 20, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Once letter's testamentary have been issued concerning the administration of a person's estate who passed without a will, the appointed administrator can have the the utility bills for the deceased's property changed into the name of the estate assuming the administrator desired to do so.

As to changing the regsistration of the deceased's vehicle, the registration is usually changed by the person who ends up receiving the vehicle as part of the estate's distribution after a final order of distribution is made by the probate court.

If a third party damages a vehicle belonging to the estate, the estate's representative can bring a lawsuit on behalf of the estate where its beneficiaries would receive any insurance payment or other compensation according to New York's intestacy laws.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.