How do we get a settlement that gets us a car?

My husband got hit by a Pepsi semi and they totaled
our car and only want to give us 2500 for it and we
found out that we owe 750 on it to get the title. We
asked them to pay us 3000 and they cover 750 so
the total would be 3750. We told them if they didnt
want to cover this then they could buy us a car like
ours or fix the one we had, because the cars that we
have found are like ours are around 4000-4500.
How do we go about getting what we want?

Asked on September 21, 2017 under Accident Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

What is the fair market or blue book value of your car, as of the moment it was totalled, based on its make, model, age, mileage, and condition? That the most you are entitled to: the law gives you the monetary equivalent (i.e. an amount of money equal to the value) of the car. The law does not take account of what you paid, or have to pay to get title, or still owe on a loan (if anything), or the cost of new car: you are entitled to the car's value, nothing else.
If they are offering you less than the then-current blue book value, you could sue the at-fault driver and his employer for the difference. But if it is only a little bit more than they are offering (or equals what they are offering), it would likely not be worth suing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.