How do I stop paying car payments for a car that I don’t drive but is registered to me?

I would really like to free up the cash for my kids and encase of emergencies as currently I have very little disposable income. The divorce is not final yet but its really unfair for me to be paying for my ex-husband’s car.

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Family Law, New York


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the car and financing is in your name, you may be stuck.  You could ask the divorce court to order you husband to reimburse you for the payments for which he is deriving the benefit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.