How do I stop my neighbor from harassing us?

My neighbor is constantly calling the cops on my household. For example if I set my car alarm after I arrive home from work it makes a loud beeping sound and he claims that I am honking my horn purposely. He has called for this reason numerous times even after I have explained to him that it is my alarm system and I have no control over the noise it makes. He also claims my younger sisters dog uses his lawn as a toilet, this is false and we even put him on a leash. These are a few of the numerous complaints he has made I just want him to stop harassing my family and embarrassing us.

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that you are being harassed by your neighbor and wish to end such, then I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of obtaining restraining orders to see whether the facts of your matter warrant the filing of such a request and to see what the costs for such is as well as the chances for success.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.