How do I put the house under my name if it is now under my soon-to-be ex-husband’s name?

My husband and I have both agreed to get a divorce. We have also agreed that house, which is currently under his name, will be mine to keep. How do I switch the title of the house to my name? Should I do the divorce before doing the change or after?

Asked on February 28, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.