How do I go about getting custody of my nephews?

My sister doesn’t take good care of her kids and they are now living at my mom’s place. My sister has no place to live and as far as I know she’s not working.

Asked on November 15, 2012 under Family Law, Idaho


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You would have to bring a petition for temporary custody and guardianship of the children.  Determinations as to their placement are made "in the best interests of the child."  I would speak with ana ttorney in your area on the matter.  It may be possible for your sister to give you temporary guardianship if the situation warrants it.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.