How do I get paperwork from a car dealer or my down payment back if they aren’t going to provide financing?

Son bought new car, 3 weeks later car lot said he needed co-signer and down payment. I did both. Then 3 months later, no correct paperwork. Car lot says conflicting things. Have the new car; need paperwork. Can I get my down payment back if they go with the original loan that didn’t ask for downpayment or co-signer?

Asked on March 23, 2012 under General Practice, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Is it really a new car?  From a licensed dealership?  I would do two things: first, I would contact your state attorney general's office on the matter and fil a complaint.  Then I would contact the parent company of the dealership - GM, Honda, etc. - and ask to speak with their corporate offices and franchise department.  Start filing complaints.  Otherwise you are going to have t take them to court to void the sale or to compel production of the documents.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.