How do I get paid for a vehicle that was damaged while parked?

My mother in laws vehicle was parked in her parking lot and it was totaled by a vehicle in a police chase. I do have the police report also. It was over 1500.00 worth of damage it happened 07/19/2017. The car was parked and the vehicle hit in the chase with the police caused damage to several vehicles that were parked in the lot.

Asked on March 22, 2018 under Accident Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Since the at-fault party's insurance carrier is denying your mother-in-law's claim, her only recourse is to sue the at-fault party for negligence.
She may be able to file her lawsuit in small claims court.  Her damages (monetary compensation she is seeking in her lawsuit) would be the property damage (cost of repairs) to her vehicle.  Upon prevailing in the case, she can also recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.
Your mother-in-law can enforce a court judgment against the at-fault party with a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.