How do I get a grant deed with my name added on it?

I have been paying the bills for 10 years and the owner is paying me back by putting me on the deed. It is not a gift.

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The way you get a grant deed created is for you to consult with a real estate attorney the the owner of the property that you are writing about to discuss the desires of you both. The real estate attorney drafts the document to be signed by the property owner trasferring title to you. The document is then recorded with the county recorder's office where the property is located.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.