How can I get my security deposit back from my ex landlord?

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You mail a letter to you landlord asking for the return of your security deposit.  Make sure to put your new address on this form and keep a copy for your records. Within 14 days of sending your Request for Return of Security Deposit, excluding weekends and holidays, your landlord must provide you with an itemized list of all charges that he or she intends to deduct from your security deposit, and the balance of your security deposit. Your landlord must mail this itemized list of charges to the address that you specified in your request, or to your last known address if you fail to provide a forwarding address.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.