How canI get my home in my name?

My ex-wife left me with back taxes and mortgage payments (backed up 6 months). I have bad credit and want to get the house in my name.

Asked on October 3, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your situation.  The terms of your divorce agreement are not clear here.  But the only way that you can transfer the house in to your name alone is to first have her execute a deed in which the property goes from your jointly to your alone.  Then you will have to refinance the property from the mortgage as is to your your name alone as well.  What does the divorce say?  Does it state that you are to be given the house in the division of assets?  Did your ex have occupancy prior to the divorce?  Who was to pay the mortgage during theta time?  It is really best for you to seek legal help in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.