How can I get a judgement that I’ve been paying on for years dismissed?

I have been paying on a judgement for the past few years and it just keeps accumulating interest. We did not agree with the judgement from the beginning and would like to know if this is something that we can go back to court for to have dismissed or get the amount lowered?

Asked on June 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Tennessee


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You absolutely should go back to court and have the court determine if it can take jurisidction, if it can render the original judgment paid and the interest to be usury. Keep in mind, however, this is something you also need to review through your credit report too to see if the judgment is still on there. Carefully review the judgment to see if the judgment was a graduated judgment that requires you to pay interest only for a few years and then pay on the original principal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.