If I’m 14 years old and can’t live with my family anymore because of all the stress and the suffering I’m going through, can I move in with a friend?

If so, how can I do that?

Asked on January 13, 2013 under Family Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Until you are 18 years of age your parents are legally responsible for you. Given the problems that you have written about I suggest that you contact a school counselor or your local social services department to see what your legal options are for living. Potentially a temporary custody arrangement can be made for you with a trusted adult?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.