If my brother and I are on L2 dependent visas here in the US and we are both enrolled in college, is it possible to change our visa to another visa which will let me work?

I’m 20 and my brother is 18.

Asked on October 18, 2015 under Immigration Law, North Dakota


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Dependent children on L-2 are not eligible for EAD; you should also ask your parents whether there is a permanent residence process in place for the L-1 parent so that you as children can also immigrate.  If you do not do so before you turn 21, you are both going to lose your L-2 status because only children through the age of 21 are eligible to be L-2 dependents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.