If I fell down the stairs at work and now am unable to walk, who is responsible for paying my medical bills if my employer does not have worker’s comp?

My employer just informed me that he doesn’t have workers comp because he is not required to. I am out of work now and my employer told me to go ahead and use my health insurance (through my husband’s job) to pay for my medical bills.

Asked on July 25, 2014 under Personal Injury, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

First you need to check for yourself. To verify whether your employer has workers’ compensation coverage, you can contact the Florida Employee Assistance and Ombudsman Office at (800) 342-1741. Next, you need to get medical help so if in fact you have available health insurance use it - your health is most important - and seek help from an attorney about suing for lost wages, etc., if in fact there was negligence on the part of your employer. The consultations should be free. The attorney will explain how the insurance company may sue the employer for the bills etc.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.