May I get a guardianship over my brother to live with me in another state even if he’s not in agreement?

My schizophrenic adult brother lives with my ailing father in OH and I need to take guardianship of him to place him in a home. My brother is not in agreement with this. I live in IN. How do I go about this?

Asked on July 6, 2017 under Estate Planning, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You would need to bring a legal action in family court in which you presented medical evidence (e.g. testimony from treating or examining psychiatrists or neurologists) that your brother is mentally incompetent and cannot care for himself or make his own decisions. If you can do that, the court can then declare him legally incompetent and appoint a legal guardian, which will likely be you (though the court feels that for some reason you are not qualified to be guardian, or that it would not be in your brother's best interests for you to be guardian, it could appoint someone else). An attorney who handles cases involving the disabled or the elderly (who sometimes need guardians appointed for them) can help you with this, and you are *strongly* encouraged to retain a lawyer and not try to do this yourself--these are difficult cases, not at all like suing someone in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.