Forged Signature on Court Agreement

Ex-wife told me her lawyer signed her
signature on the court agreement papers
for her. From my understanding, both
parents must sign to make document
legal. Is this true? If so, what legal
actions do I have against ex-wife and
her counsel?

Asked on June 23, 2016 under Family Law, South Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Whether it's illegal or improper depends on a number of factors.
Many attorneys have it in their contracts or agreements for authority to sign certain documents and some court will permit it.  This is not a best practice, but it's not unheard of.  Most attorneys want and should want their client's signature. 
The only person who has a right to complain about the signature is the person whose signature was forged or a person who was affected by a forged document.  If your wife would not have consented to the document otherwise, then she may have a right to complain.  If she did not consent, then she needs to seek new counsel to assist her in formally revoking her consent to the document. 
If she is refusing to honor the agreement and is alleging that it is a forgery, then it also affects your rights, then you need to bring it to the attention of your attorney and the court to formally declare the contract void or valid so that your agreements do not remain in limbo.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.