Employer terminated me when FMLA ran out.

I was terminated from my job the day after my FMLA expired 5/8/17. I filed for unemployment once I was released to work 10/17/18with restrictions. I had a stroke after colon surgery 2/8/17. Unemployment denied my claim stating that I left my job due to medical reasons. I did not quit my job. My employer terminated me. What can I do to obtain benefits.

Asked on October 26, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you missed work after your FMLA leave ran out without having and using earned paid time off (PTO) to cover all such absences, you may legally be terminated. FMLA is the only time you are legally entitled to miss work for medical reasons (other than when you use any sick or vacation days your earned for the purpose). So if you missed work after using up FMLA and without using PTO for the absence, you may be terminated. And since you would be terminated for being absent (not returning to work), you would not be eligible for unemployment: you were terminated due to your actions in not returning to work, and that makes you ineligible for benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.