Hi, My husband and I are considering purchasing a property that has a deeded easement which states ingress and egress to the beach area and lake. It also states that the party can put in a dock and boat of any size and it grants 30 feet of easement on the beach to dwell and use at your pleasure. The problem is the owner of this beach property which is different than the people selling the house is storing a boat box and swim floats within the 30 feet easement. The realtor asked him if he plans on removing those items and he said that he was not and would not. Can he store these items and dwell within this 30 feet easement?

Asked on September 13, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

An easement is enforceable in court: you could if necessary sue the property owner to force him to move his boat box and float. Unfortunately, if he won't do this voluntarily, suing is the *only* way to enforce the easement; besides the cost, time, etc. of that lawsuit, suing that property owner ensures that you and he will have bad blood, and he may find any number of ways to harass or inconvenience you (e.g. while you are using your 30', he sets up a radio 31' away and plays obnoxious music really loudly). Not a legal, but a practical, recommendation: don't go into a situation where you can predict you will have strife and conflict--look for different property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.