If I drive for Uber and due to a system problem I haven’t been able to drive for 4 days which has cost me over $1000, do I have recourse to get them to reimburse my lost earnings?

When signing on to drive, I receive a message saying that my documents are

invalid or expired preventing me from signing on. I have emails confirming

their awareness this is not true and they are working on a solution. It has been 4 days and still cannot sign into the app. Do I have recourse to get lost

earnings due to their failure to correct the problem?

Asked on March 13, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written contract which Uber which guarantees you some minimum income, or hours driven, etc., then you could sue them to enforce the terms of the contract. But in the absence of a contract, they have no legal obligation to make sure you can drive or work and you cannot sue them for lost earnings--just as if you all of a sudden decided to stop driving them, costing them some money, they could not sue you unless you were in violation of the terms of a written agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.