Does your employer suppose to reimburse you for milege on using your car?

My Husband uses his car for going to customer’s job site.His company will only pay him half on the gas receipt and nothing for rear and tear on the car. He is traveling to Indiana and they will only add an extra 4 hours on pay for overtime when round trip there and back is 8 hours and that is not including 8 hours at the job site. Please give some advice.

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

An employer is not required to reimburse a person for their mileage when driving for job related activity unless it specifically states in the employment contact that they will be reimbursed for such activity. So your husband should review his employment contract but without it stating he is entitled to this than the employer is not obligated to pay for mileage as it is considered part of the job to travel in such an instance.

You can however claim the mileage on your tax return so he should keep records of the amount of driving done for work related activities. Your other option is to contact a local attorney who may know the specifics of your area and the general practice in this situation. Although that doesn't guarantee payment it may give you insight as how best to approach the situation. Good luck with everything

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.