does lessee have to paint the outside of the house when the house needed painting before moving in?

I signed a lease today in Louisana. I was told after signing the lease that I had to pay to paint the house outside and if I didnt then I would be taken to court. The house needs paint before I moved in. So am I liable to pay for this when it ups the value of her house. Why would I have to do this when I just moved in

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  Is painting the house required in the lease?  I have never heard of such a thing.  I think that you are being taken advantage of here.  If the lease does nto say you have to paint the house (i cannot imagine that i does), then you do not have to paint it unless you are doing it as a favor or being paid some type of fee or getting something from the landlord in return, such as a free months rent.  I suggest showing the lease to a lawyer and then telling the landlord that you are not painting the house unless given something of value in exchange as this is not your responsibility.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.