If I was not at fault for an accident, do I need to except the first settlement offer from the other driver’s auto insurer?

It happened in a high school parking i had the right-away and the other driver didn’t yield. There is video surveillance footage showing that the other driver was at fault but their insurer is only offering me $70 for the damages and also said that I can’t get reimbursed for my lost wages. What can I do to get my car fixed and paid for my wages?

Asked on May 21, 2016 under Accident Law, Utah


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You don't need to accept any settlement offer from the at-fault party's insurance carrier.
You can either continue negotiating or if negotiations are futile  or you are dissatisfied with settlement offers, your only recourse is to reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party. 
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would include the property damage to your car (cost of repairs) and documentation of wage loss. 
Depending on the amount of damages you are seeking to recover, you may be able to file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  Your damages should also include court costs which would include the court filing fee and process server fee.  You can enforce the court judgment you obtain with a wage garnishment against the opposing party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.