My husband of 4 years left me back in nov 2015 to move back to his home state of
texas, he basically abandoned me, i had no job at the time and no car and the car
he was driving when the engine blew up…..he left me with 100 before he left
then after for about 3 months NOTHING…..i had to call and basically beg for
some money, just found out this morning over the phone from him that he’s seeing
another woman……do i qualify for financial support from him? and does he have
to furnish me with a vehicle?

Asked on June 29, 2016 under Family Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is free legal assistance to individual who qualify; many agencies/groups provide these services. Legal Aid is one, so contact them. Also, can check to see if there is a law school in your area; they run free/low cost clinics that handle divorces. Additionally, you can contact your state/county/city bar association to see if they have a list of lawyers who will take your case for free or at least for a reduced fee. Further, you can check for women's support groups online and see if one can provide the names of attorneyss who can help you. Finally, you can contact your local Department of Social Services in your area to see if it can refer for free legal advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.