What to do if family members influenced someone to write a new Will in which they benefitted from?

For several reasons, my dad was depressed/not well mentally for a time about 3 years ago. My brothers came and had a Will drawn up for him to sign. One brother and I have spent 20 years paying off the farm note where my Dad lives. Because of this, my Dad said that the entire farm would go equally to this brother and I when he died. This new Will is full of inaccuracies – “land that was a gift to my kids” (we paid for the land in question). It also requires that the farm be sold – not what Dad wanted. The other brother did not help pay for the farm, but with this new Will he gets 2/5+ of the value.

Asked on November 30, 2010 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming here that your Dad has passed away and I am sorry for your loss.  You can challenge - or contest - a Will and the validity under various theories.  Undue influence - which would be improper persuasion or a misuse of a relationship to take advantage of a person's weakness - is one of them and that which I think applies here.  You are going to have to prove that your Father did not make the Will when he was in his "right mind" or "sound mind" and that he lacked "testamentary capacity" at the time that it was executed.  Seek legal help here with this matter.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.