credie collection advise needed

I owe over $10,000 to a credit card company that has gone into collections. They have issued a depostion subpoena for production of business records to turn over a copy of the loan application, current home & work information & copies of the last 4 payments made to the finance company for my car. I still owe about $5500.00 on my loan. What should I do ? Can they take my car as collateral for the debt ?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Has a lawsuit been file?  if no lawsuit has been filed i am not sure how they can do a deposition subpoena for the records.  If a lawsuit has been filed, then you need to appear and bring the documents.  Do you have any assets such as real estate?  If so, the company can get a judgment against you and put  a lien on your home.  as far as your car is concerned, the credit car company cannot take your car.  the only one that can take it is the finance company that you borrowed from.  i suggest hiring a lawyer to negotiate a deal where you pay the debt off over time in an amount that you can afford to get this agency off your back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.